Everything under the sun

We all have a lot to say. I do too. Life everyday throws up so many issues and surprises that it is hard to keep up. So it is all about grabbing a few moments and making it last. Sharing such moments is the only way of making them special. So here is a platform to talk your mind on issues that touch us everday. Lets keep it simple but alive. A spot under the sun!

Name:

An Autumn leaf describes me best. Mellowed with passing years. Experienced life in its many shades and hues. Always appreciated human values and strong character. A staunch believer in human bonds and relationships. Marvel at life always coming up with the unexpected. Imagine myself drifting like a leaf through life, stopping at places only to see or learn and then move along to another experience. Drifting, allowing life to take me along its course. Love humour and smiling faces. Try to learn from experiences and people. On a more "everyday" plane, I am a good administrator, maybe a trifle over concerned with things! Have a simple moto : Life is to be lived and change is the only constant factor.

Friday, June 09, 2006

We’ve Got A Gift

“Everybody look who is here!” were the excited words of our neighbour’s teenager boy cradling the little puppy in his hands. All our heads went up in unison and we stared at the little beauty. It needs a home continued the teenager. Its current owners are a working family and are having a difficult time looking after the puppy.

We have had cats in our home for the last thirty years but never a dog. Not that we do not love one but more because of the fear of losing it. The fact is that never a dog was brought into our home. Birds, rats and what have you have had their time with us but never a dog.

My father was in the next room and hearing that a dog has come in, came out protesting. “No way we can keep a dog” his voice booming but as he opened the door he broke into a wide smile seeing those innocent eyes. “Very sweet” he said, echoing all our feelings.

Next was my husband from whom we needed a clearance. He always felt that having a dog is no casual affair and we must be ready for all the commitments that come along with it. I gave him a call and told him of the new entrant waiting for clearance. He was a bit stern and told me that it would be entirely my decision. Trifle disappointed, I hung up.

The little puppy was inquisitively going around the house and sniffing everybody and everything around. The telephone rang, it was my husband. “How is it to look at, I am coming home soon, hope it is still around.” I could not believe what I heard. The little mongrel had cast a spell on all of us!

Soon we were all playing with the little puppy! Imagine, my father, mother, me and neighbourhood kids all running around and yes my daughter was calling up every few minutes to check how it was settling down with us.

Soon the car horn sounded and we all stood for the final verdict. Out walked my husband (looking crisp even after the whole day at office, told you he is a thorough bred gentleman)! He stood still and the puppy too looked. Their eyes met and then in one swift movement, the puppy dashed towards my husband and stood up on its hind legs.

The rest as they say is history! My husband petted it and patted it and soon he too was running and playing with it!

So we have a new member in our household. We were told it had a name but it never responds if you call it by that name. Perhaps it never heard it enough. So the name hunting phase began and each one coming up with our creative best.

In one such session, my mother called out “BHOCHKOO” and the little puppy jumped onto her lap. Decided! Bhochkoo it is. But what about a good name as they say, one for more formal occasions. That too did not take too long to decide, DINKY DOGGY.

30th of May will always now be remembered and celebrated by our family. That was the day Dinky came into our home. Life can certainly surprise us with beautiful unexpected gifts. Little did we know at dawn on that day that a special parcel of joy was awaiting us. Just as the foot steps of my parents were getting a little tired and ours a little too empty with our children gone far, in walked Bhochkoo jazzing it all up for us.

I leave you with a list my mother gave me to get from the store last evening:

· Tea Leaves
· Cerelac ( baby food)
· Baby Vitamin drops
· Rusk biscuits
· Chewing sticks or biscuits

Yes one more item had to be added to the list, a pair of sandals for me. The present one got chewed last night. Posted by Picasa

2 Comments:

Blogger Mrinalini said...

Great piece, and a sweetheart to look at! I like the ending very very much! :) keep writing pls!

11:58 AM  
Blogger Tip said...

Cool article, looks like you find a lot of time to write. Well I am a bit like your husband (minus the crisp shirts after a hard day in office !!)
Since the day I started working I never managed to write a single blog, hope to change that soon.
In the meantime I came to read yours.
Typical bengali name your puppy has 'Bhochkoo'. same with my parents, tinku, tumpa and the like.
Keep blogging.

The best guy around town.
Debayan

3:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

/* Comments ----------------------------------------------- */ #comments {} #comments h4 { font-weight:normal; font-size:120%; color:#29303B; margin:0; padding:0; } #comments-block { line-height:1.5em;
I am nerdier than 15% of all people. Are you nerdier? Click here to find out!